Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Working

It's hard to believe that I had a life before I became a mother, but I did! I really did.

I worked in marketing in Corporate America for 12 years, which seems like eons ago now.

Some days I miss it and others, you couldn't pay enough to go back to work.

In no particular order, here are the Top 10 Things I DON'T Miss About Working:

1. The Attire. Coordinates, cardigans, suits, panty hose and shoes that hurt my feet. Daily. 

2. The Meetings/Meetings About Meetings. Generating so many great ideas but having way to implement them due to lack of interest, resources and/or budget, so let's schedule another meeting! Hours upon hours of time I'll never get back. Sigh.  

3. Corporate-isms. Annoying phrases such as: think tank, ROI, the bottom line and synergy come to mind. 

4. The commute. No matter how great the stereo system is in your car, sitting in traffic is the worst time-sucker EVER! Way worse than Twitter. 

5. Deadlines. Marketing is a very deadline driven and there are a lot of moving parts and pieces. Herding them all together due to some of the slackers I worked with was no fun. 

6. Corporate Politics. The paperwork, policies and hoops you have to jump through - essentially all the crap that gets in the way of being able to do your job. 

7. Voice Mail. Creating your own greeting, remembering to change it when you're out of the office, leaving voice mails for others and collecting your own. I cursed that little blinking red light every day. 

8. Water Cooler Talk. While I appreciated the social aspect of office chit chat I often couldn't help thinking I needed to be back at my desk working. 

9. That One Guy (Or Gal). You know the one I'm talking about, the one that stinks up the break room with their microwavable lunch, the one that has horrendous breath, the one won't look at your eyes when he talks to you, but your chest, the one that has to compliment you every single day in a really creepy way. Ew. 

10. Stress Level. Um... see above.

If I had to do it all over, I'd definitely find a way to work from home.

Oh, wait... turns out I do report to a three foot boss. And with that, I better get back to work.
This post was inspired by Stasha's Monday Listicles, a linky right up my alley!

post signature