Not Just Another Three Days

The 2010 Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay Area 3-Day for the Cure began with an emotional Opening Ceremony on a foggy, windy morning at Cow Palace. From there we headed north into San Francisco and walked along the Great Highway with gorgeous ocean views. Some notable memories along the way included the “Manbulance” sweep van dancers, firemen out with their truck and the San Jose Bike Police supporting us along the route. The stairs on the steep coastal trail came up behind the Golden Gate Bridge as we walked through the Presidio to complete Day 1. After a long day of walking, we gathered at camp, our home away from home for the weekend.
We arose early on Saturday morning to another foggy day, ready to hit the trail. We walked across the Golden Gate Bridge (although we could barely see it through the fog). The Coast Guard came out at Fort Baker, with music, pink shirts, balloons and their dog. The sun came out for us in Sausalito as we headed up the coast for lunch. That evening, we gathered back at camp for a Candy Coburn concert.
We began our final day of walking in the rain, but the sun began to shine once we left the peaceful trails of the Presidio. We walked through Arguello Gate, into Golden Gate Park, passing the Conservatory of Flowers, the de Young Museum and the Japanese Tea Garden. Then we headed into downtown San Francisco to lunch at Mission Dolores Park with sweeping views of the city. Then it was into the Civic Center where the Oakland Fire Department had an impromptu dance party, and up into North Beach along Columbus Avenue. Our incredible journey ended with a celebratory Closing Ceremony at Marina Green.

A BIG HUGE GIGANTIC thank you to all my family and friends who donated to this amazing cause. Along with 1399 other walkers, you helped raise $3.7 million and I surpassed my personal goal by raising almost $2500! I also got to spend three memorable days doing something monumental to kick cancer's ass in the process, along side my sister.

To read more about why I walk, please read my post Save The Ta-Tas.

While there are all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels on the course, walking 60 miles over the course of three days is not for the weak, in fact 50% of all participants don't complete the full three days, so I am very proud of my sister and myself. We pushed ourselves to the limit and there were definitely many moments that I thought I couldn't take one more step, but something...my inner stubbornness, my sister's encouragement, an enthusiastic cheering station, or the cause itself kept me going and going and going.

Please visit Susan G. Komen for the Cure to find out more about this powerful event.

post signature