In Treatment

I have been dreading writing about this because I haven't got my head fully wrapped around it yet, so please bear with me and as always, any words of advice and/or comfort that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Shortly after my parents died, I was somewhat desperate to help my sister find a psychologist to help her with her grief and in the process contacted a doctor that I saw for a while leading up to and after my divorce from my first husband.

I still feel bamboozled by her receptionist when she asked me "what about you?". To which, I of course replied, "what do you mean, 'what about me'?".

Before I knew it I was seeing the good doctor again once a week for almost a year, half a dozen times leading up to Lucas' arrival and it's now been eight months since my last appointment.

I need her again.

I am a big proponent of therapy. I believe working with a professional can help provide insight, support and new strategies for all types of life challenges. In the past it has helped me immensely and I am lucky to have a doctor that I trust and respect. Dr. K. is a family therapist and specializes in family and marital counseling, stress management and grief.

Since spring, I haven't been myself and it's time to do something about it.

I'm moodier than usual, short tempered, forgetful, disheveled, anxious and confused. I sound like a toddler, huh?

Depression is a real illness and while I have never been clinically diagnosed as "depressed", I have a laundry list of reasons for why I might be. It could be because it's October now, which is a hard month for being the anniversary of my parents deaths, if I'm, as I've shared before, still getting used to my (not so) new role of mother, if I'm struggling with my summer miscarriage, or more than likely a combination of all three and a bunch of other junk too. Whatever IT is, I don't like feeling this way and I am anxious to get back in treatment.

I'm no good at "faking it" or keeping my feelings at bay. They come out in the strangest ways and don't want my negativity to ever affect Lucas. Not to mention, I have too much goodness in my life to feel this way.

My first appointment is next week and I have two additional appointments after that. From time to time, when appropriate I'll update you. In the meantime, your good thoughts are welcome. Let the self discovery and growth begin.

post signature

This post was written for the word game, Word Up, Yo! hosted by the self proclaimed Nerd Mafia: Natalie (Mommy of a Monster), Kristin (Taming Insanity) and Liz (a belle, a bean and a chicago dog).

If you like words too, play along!
This week's word is bamboozled.