Stay Blue

But my deepest and most secret love belongs to the fair-haired and the blue-eyed, the bright children of life, the happy, the charming and the ordinary. - Thomas Mann

All my life I have been complimented on my eye color.

Strangers have asked me more than once if my eyes were real. As opposed to what, I'm not sure. They must have thought I was wearing colored contacts.

My eyes are blue.

Sometimes they are unbelievably blue depending on the color of the sky, my disposition or what I am wearing.

I have only met two other people with eyes as blue as mine...my father and my son.


This is one of my favorite photos of me and my dad.

This is one of my favorite photos of Lucas.

I am so grateful that the three of us share this trait.

According to a Boston Globe article written in 2006, blue eyes have become increasingly rare among American children, with only one out of every six or 16.6%, which is 49.8 million out of 300 million (22.4% of white Americans) of the total United States population having blue eyes.

Of course, I realize that Lucas' eye color can still change at any time. My mother used to say that she was blond haired and blue-eyed until she was five and then magically, mysteriously she turned into a brown-eyed brunette.


Something tells that he's going to stay blue.

The best is yet to be.


I wrote this post for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - Prompt #3: The most unbelievable blue eyes you've ever seen.