On My Own

My husband travels for work a lot. He takes at least 14 business trips per year, most of them only lasting two to three days. Tomorrow is leaving for a whole week.

Usually I have my sister or mother-in-law come visit so that they can help me out, but this time, I'm going to do it all alone. I know what you're thinking... I'm crazy, right? You're probably right.

I do have 10 hours of nanny help each week as it is, but beyond that I have some fun things planned for Lucas and me to do, so we (I) should be okay. Of course, I did wake up this morning with a sore throat and now my head feels like it's going to explode, I'm so stuffed up, but I'll be okay. I'll let you know how I'm holding up in a couple of days.

Back to my husband traveling... every time he goes away, he mails Lucas a postcard from wherever in the world he may be.
It's better than having him buy some awful overpriced trinket at the airport and so much more thoughtful. When the postcards arrive (usually after Todd has returned home), I read them to Lucas and them promptly display them on the memo board in Lucas' bedroom. The notes are sweet, mean a lot to me and I know someday will mean a lot to Lucas too, or will he just be bitter that his dad traveled so much when he was an infant?

At 14 months, Lucas doesn't seem to really notice when daddy is away for an extended period of time, but he does look around for him and starts asking for him around 5:30 each evening and gets very excited whenever he sees his picture pop up on my phone, when Todd calls me.

For those of you with small children and spouses that travel, how are you teaching your child(ren) to stay connected to the parent that is away? Phone calls? Skype? iChat? I feel like it's only a matter of time before this becomes a potential problem. I appreciate your insight and any advice you can offer.

I'm off to find some NyQuil.

The best is yet to be.