Time Well Spent

We don't own a piano, but I have always dreamed of having one simply to display dozens of photos across. Instead, we have this beautiful side board that does a pretty nice job.
I couldn't choose just one photo to write about, so I chose all 15. As I reminisced and went back in time, here is what I thought:

  • What a goofy grin on my face! I can't believe my husband not only took that photo just moments after I had completed my first (and only) half marathon, he had it blown up and framed so that I would always remember that pain... and pride.
  • My perfect wedding.
  • My husband and his parents - they are my family now too:
  • I have the best friends a girl could ever hope for:
  • I'm sad whenever I remember that this is the last photo that I ever got to take with my parents:
  • My dear, sweet sister, whom I sometimes feel a million miles away from, but always hold very close to my heart. Here we are after our first grueling day on the 3-Day Walk:
  • The joy and hopefulness in my eyes as I rest my hand on the new life in my belly:
  • My perfect baby just four weeks old:
  • My oldest and dearest friend in the world and all of our children together at last:
And then I actually did become inspired enough to write a poem:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

What if a thousand pictures were worth just one?
I'd say much easier said than done.

One word that fully encapsulates smiles, fun, tears and laughter,
Hopes, dreams and the happily ever afters?

Would it be: Happiness? Joy? Blessings? Love?
Ah, love, that's fitting. After all, isn't it the only word to speak of?

Photographs take us back and remind us of travel and distant places,
Moments with family and friends in possession of warm and familiar faces.

Our snap shots are displayed like treasures,
Out of love, in memory and for pleasure.

We capture, frame, post and share with everyone our two dimensional grins
But mostly, our photos are for our own selfish whims.

Whether they are in color, black-and-white or over exposed,
The images are not always of what is being proposed.

Were we just smiling for the sake of the lens,
Or were we truly satisfied with our lives and friends?

A sense of mystery can lie in each and every one,
"Why was I wearing this or that?", "Look at my hair!" and "I didn't know what was about to be done".

Protect your memories and your photographs as if they were gold,
Something that can never be traded, bought or sold.

And remember, L-O-V-E is what they represent
And just gazing at them is time well spent.

The best is yet to be.


I wrote this post for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - Prompt #2: Write a poem about a picture.