Viva Las Vegas

March Madness* AKA "The Big Dance" refers to the annual NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament. This tournament, held late March through early April, is a single-elimination tournament in which 65 teams compete against each other over the course of a three weeks for a shot at a national championship.

During this time, teams will be moving up one tier at a time, working through to the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite Eight, the Final Four and eventually into the finals. This is the season where basketball nuts become completely crazy cheering on their favorite team in the hope for a championship.

March Madness is also one of the reasons for my annual weekend girl's trip to Las Vegas! What better place to watch college ball, hang out with my friends, enjoy some fine dining, pampering, the pool and do a little gambling, dancing and celebrating? I have been looking forward to landing on this page of my calendar for weeks....

My good friend, Kathryn's birthday falls right smack dab in the middle of March too, so she is the other reason we go. Although, we try not to let it go to her head, after all, she has earned the nickname Birthdayzilla for a reason! Kat, if you are reading this, you know I love you.

This year will mark my seventh trip, but some have been going for 10 years! I missed out last year because I was pregnant and Vegas is not a whole lot of fun if you can't drink, plus is hard to escape all the cigarette smoke, so I am really looking forward to this year's getaway.

This trip will also mark my first TWO nights away from you. So far, I have spent six single nights away from you, but never TWO consecutive nights and I'm a little nervous. I know you are in good hands, that's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about me! I am going to miss you so much, but I am going to try to enjoy the time away and be in the moment. I wonder if you'll even notice that I'm gone?

*The term "March Madness" was coined by Henry V. Porter in 1939. Originally the term was used to refer to the Illinois High School Basketball Tournament. Later the NCAA picked it up after a small legal battle with the Illinois High School Association. March Madness was then used to refer to the collegiate national basketball tournament. This was started in 1939 by National Association of Basketball Coaches and only had eight contending teams at the time.

Bear Down, Arizona!! Oh, wait, they didn't even make it to the tournament this year (the first time in 25 years!). :(

The best is yet to be.

Day 23/100