Party City

It has been a magical first year...so far, we still have three months to go and I can't wait to celebrate! What they say is true about having children, the days are long, but the years are short. You were once, not so long ago, a tiny newborn and now you are a growing, learning, changing, on-the-go, toddler and this has been the best year of my life.

Back to the celebration part...

I was surprised recently to overhear fellow moms already planning their soon-to-be one year old's birthday parties and down right shocked at how elaborate these plans sounded. What, I don't understand I thought to myself, what is there to plan? Place your pride and joy in their highchair, let him go crazy with a cupcake, take a dozen cute photos for the baby book and toast your partner to a job well down. Hip hip hooray, you all three survived the first year!

I don't believe that children's birthday parties need to be huge, over the top affairs or include entertainment in the form of hiring the Wiggles, a man on tilts or renting a bouncy castle. Why do parents do this to themselves? Who needs that pressure? When did birthday parties get so out of hand?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE birthdays and I think they should always be celebrated so that birthday boy or girl, no matter what their age, feels extra special on their special day. For a one year old, that can be done simply; at home, surrounded by family members, cake and ice cream and balloons. Even when you are old enough to have real friends to invite to a party, it doesn't need to be a ton of work or super expensive to be memorable or fun. Otherwise, it's an event for the adults, especially if alcohol is being served. ;)

When I was growing up I only remember having one some what bigger than usual birthday party and it was for my Sweet Sixteen. It was a blast! My mom had designed a scavenger hunt and got all of her friends in our neighborhood to participate. It was great fun, but it was also held a full month and a half before my actual birthday because I have a birthday that falls right smack dab in the middle of summer, when everyone I knew was on vacation, including me and my family. We might run into that with you too, since you are also a June baby. I'm sorry!

My birthdays growing up usually consisted of having my favorite meal for lunch (a Kid's Meal at Burger King...such a treat!) or dinner (my mom's lasagna, which is always better the next day) and then going to a movie of my choice with my mom. Great days!

At any rate, birthdays are suppose to be fun and not contests to see who can outdo each other. Needless to say, we don't have any plans yet for your big first birthday, but I know they will include family, lots of photos and a hose. :)

The best is yet to be.

Day 16/100