Take Me Out To The Ball Game

"If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead." - Erma Bombeck

This is going to sound very strange, but I miss having sports in my life.

I didn't realize it until I was at the gym last week and found myself on an treadmill, followed by an elliptical machine and then the StairMaster positioned in front of the TV broadcasting Sports Center on ESPN. It was only then that I thought to myself, "why am I watching this?". And then it dawned on me that I always choose the exercise equipment in front of the television showing football, basketball, baseball or golf highlights. I'm not even listening because I usually have my iPod on, but I am watching it and enjoying it, too.

You see, your dad isn't a sports fan. He doesn't spend hours couching it all weekend because there is game after game after game on T.V. and I'm actually very grateful for this, but even so, it's strange. After almost eight years together, I am still not used to it.

I grew up with a major sports fan for a father and depending on the season, learned to root for the Boston Celtics, Boston Red Sox and Washington Redskins. I followed Gary Player, Arnold Palmer and Fuzzy Zoeller on the PGA. Every guy I ever dated watched sports. All my male friends watch sports. Yet, I met, fell in love and married a non-sports watcher. Sure, he knows the basic rules (although he gets a kick out of saying "basketball contest"), played organized sports growing up and loves to run and cycle nowadays.

We tune into the World Series, Super Bowl, an occasional play off game and some University of Arizona (my alma matar) or Cal (your dad's) games, but other than that, sports are seldom on in our house. What does he/we watch instead, you ask? A LOT of car auctions and car-related shows like Top Gear and Chasing Classic Cars and anything that Alain de Cadenet is hosting. Nice, quiet, civilized shows with no one to root for or against. In other words, no need to scream, yell or throw things at the television set (the part of sports fanhood that I don't miss).

I wonder what sports you will be into watching and playing when you grow up. I hope at the very least, you enjoy watching them. It would be comforting to be around that noise again.

The best is yet to be.