I have read dozens of articles on baby proofing that include outlet covers, gates, and cabinet and toilet locks, but it's the not-so-obvious things like; blind cords, carpets without nonskid backings and loose tiles that have me worried. For all you seasoned moms out there, what else should we be considering?
Looks like I'll be crawling around on my hands and knees this weekend trying to discover other potential Lucas hazards and then we'll be calling in the professionals.
Shocking facts about child safety:
- Each year in the Untied States, approximately 6,000 children die, and another 120,000 are seriously injured or permanently disabled due to preventable household accidents.
- Every day, almost 39,000 children sustain injuries serious enough to require medical attention, totaling more than 14 million children each year.
- Children are 7 times more likely to die from a preventable household accident than from all childhood illnesses combined.
- Each year, more than 2.5 million children are treated in emergency rooms for fall-related injuries.
- The number one cases of death among infants and toddlers are preventable household accidents.
The best is yet to be.