We have to do what?

I never thought I'd be able to say this. Lucas hears and understands us so well, that we have to spell words around him. Yes. Around our deaf son, we have to spell words. U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.

I mean, it's not that he understands everything that we say, but enough! His favorite things right now are going outside and going for a ride in his beloved car. This car:

So, we have to spell "outside" and "car". That's it so far, but I'm pretty excited about it. Again, I take nothing for granted with him.

Here are a couple of other recent Lucas observations:

He is walking much better and can even stand for extended periods of time on his own (see above picture!). I'm soooooo thrilled about that. He's not exactly functionally walking, but he's getting there!!!

The other day, Lucas was resting his head on my shoulder and the room was completely silent. One of our cats walked into the room and quietly meowed. Lucas sat straight up and looked for the sound. I was impressed.

I've been whispering around Lucas to see what he can understand. When I whisper "let's go find Daddy," Lucas signs "daddy." I'm so excited that he can hear me whisper.

I'm still waiting for a spoken language explosion, but Lucas is consistently saying "up," "down," and "bye-bye."

Cochlear implants are amazing. I really never thought his would work this well. But it does, and I am soooo grateful.