Quick Update

Just to give a quick update...

We won't know the results of the MRI for a while, because I guess the radiologists in Lancaster are too inexperienced to read the MRI for what I'm looking for. It's been a long few days of many phone calls and frustrations, but I've realized that I will have to send the films to CHOP and have them read them there. Who knows how long that will take. The next appointment with the ENT at CHOP is August 20, so we might not even know until then. I really hope sooner though, as I am very, very anxious to hear.

On a different note, Lucas now has a speech-language pathologist (SLP) who has a lot of experience with HOH kids, and despite a very busy schedule, is willing to take on Lucas because she has a big heart for HOH kids. I have heard so many good things about her, and I really look forward to working with her.

Although we are signing with Lucas, it is no longer our first priority. It will be an excellent way to bridge the communication gap with our son (as it is with all babies), but our real goal is for him to listen and speak. I really figured that out when I sat down with the AV therapist at CHOP and we made up a dream sheet. She asked me where I wanted Lucas to be in a year, in 5 years, in 10 years. I realized that my goal is not for him to be fluent in sign language, but rather to be speaking and listening, period. Although we're not throwing signing out, AVT (auditory-verbal therapy) is our new priority. Some families with profoundly deaf children do not sign at all, so it's not impossible, it's just a different way of thinking. We're still doing Total Communication, but with a big AV emphasis.