How I Write... and learned to take more photos.

There are no photos today.  And... before you ask, I'll explain.  I haven't taken any.  It's not that I haven't written to anyone, and I've gotten some really fun mail, including a letter from Dawid, some awesome entries for the Mini Mondrian, and more, I just haven't taken photos.  But that's not the point.

When I check my PO Box, it's usually in the evenings after work.  Weekends are pretty much a "whenever I feel like it" thing.  The service window at my Post Office is only open until 4:30pm on weekdays, and noon on Saturday.  I almost always miss it, so I am greeted by the steel bars covering the displays.  On the occasion that I do make it to the post office before they close, the Postmaster, Katrina, is always there, as she has been since the early 80s.

The mail that I receive is eagerly opened on the day I get it, and is logged in my book.  I delight in reading the letters/cards, and have taken to sharing the experience with friends who are curious.  "What's that?!" has been asked many times when I have an unusual envelope.  My response is always the same - another gift from a pen friend.

And then... the letters get kept in my messenger bag.  I keep all sorts of things in that bag - envelopes, stamps, rulers, markers, glue, tape, chap stick, fountain pens, ink, blank paper of all sorts and sizes, and a clipboard.  I will pull out a random letter and re-read it.  And then I will start my response.

Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to write a response.  Sometimes, it flows like melted butter on a hot pan.  I always date the letters for the day that I start writing them, but I often wonder if I should date them for the day they were finished.  They will then get placed into an envelope... and that's where I fail.  I don't always put them into the post right away.  I seem to gather them until I have 5 or 6 envelopes to mail out before I send them.

So, my question to you is - how to you write your letters?