A Strange Encounter

Happy Indpendence Day! 

A few weeks ago, I bamboozled Lucas into going to the park by way of the bank, thus taking the very l o n g way to the park so that I could get in some exercise.

While we were standing in line at the bank, he started fussing. In other words, he was on to me and wanted nothing more than to get out of the stroller and create some sort of havoc. To calm him down and keep him put, I gave him my iPhone.

This practice is normally a last resort and used mostly at restaurants so that his dad and I can finish our meal in peace and down our adult beverages with a small amount of dignity.

I have several toddler friendly apps on my phone; Voice Cards, Talking Tom, Toddler Puzzle Shapes and ABC Train, just to name a few. I also have "emergency" episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba and Sesame Street and a playlist devoted to Lucas' favorite tunes.

At any rate, he knows his way around an iPhone, without too much input or instruction from me. I don't know how he knows, he just does, so I wasn't too surprised when the middle aged gentleman in front of us asked me how old Lucas was. After I told him, he responded with shock and awe that someone so young could use the device so well. I laughed it off.

Lucas and I carried on a conversation about the shapes in the puzzle he was working on and I reiterated nine more times that we would eventually make it to the park when the man blurted out the most bizarre thing: "Daycare kid?"

I was a bit taken aback and it took me a good 30 seconds to reply, "No, I stay at home with him", to which the man had nothing to say. No further insight into his strange question at all.

I'm still confused.

Up until now, I've been able to avoid any sort of Mommy vs. Mommy or Mommy vs. stranger who may or may not be a Mommy run-in, not that I would call this a run-in per say, but it was certainly one of the first out in public Mommy moments I've had that has stayed with me. I haven't been able to shake this exchange for some reason. Why is that?

What did he mean by "daycare kid"?

What do you think? I would love to get your take.

P.S. If you have a favorite toddler app, please let me know!

 post signature