I'm Not Done

For last week's Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop, I wrote 11 six word memoirs. I couldn't stop at just one. To read them all, click here.

This week's writing assignment is to elaborate. Rather than bombard you with 11 explanations, I have selected one:

I'm still a work in progress.

It's very simple really.

I am not the same person that I was ten years ago, five years ago or even one year ago, in large part thanks to maturity, motherhood, devastating losses and some wonderful people I am thankful to have met along the way.

I am constantly evolving and growing and experiencing new thoughts and ideas (sometimes reluctantly), and getting better. I'm not done.

I meet new people all the time and try to expose myself to equal parts comfort and culture. There is a lot more of the world I look forward to seeing. I'm not done.

I have internal demons and I am my own worst enemy. I've learned just about everything the hard way. I'm proud, stubborn, love having the last word and have a difficult time relaxing. I have few regrets, wish I was more patient, struggle daily with trying to live in the moment. I have been known to drink too much, swear too much and be a real bitch when I don't get my way. I am working on all of the above and I'm not done.

I love my family and friends beyond measure and take pride in my home, my word and compassion for others. I'm not done.

Some of my core morals and values are the same as they ever were, but with age I'm finding that I'm more open and (a bit) more flexible to other view points. I'm thirsty for knowledge and have a immense curiosity for the world around me.

I'm not done.

I'm not done learning, growing, creating, believing, feeling, listening, dancing, dreaming, reading, sitting, swimming, exploring, sweating, smiling, hoping, loving, living, being.

I'm not done.

I'm still a work in progress.

"I am a work in progress, dressed in the fabric of a world unfolding, offering me intricate patterns of questions, rhythms that never come clean, and strengths that you still haven't seen." -Ani DiFranco

This post was written for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop, Prompt 1.) Last week you chose a six word memoir to share…this week elaborate. Tell us the story or thought process behind the sentence you wrote.

post signature