red stop, green go

Lucas is at that age when it's really fun to take him places, and he benefits a lot (in terms of language) from new experiences. Being out in public = lots of curious stares. We're used to it by now, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't get to me from time to time. I haven't handed out any of my Lucas cards lately, but I'm finding my voice more and more when people stare.

Up until last week, people especially noticed his ear when it was dark. Why? Because the Cochlear Freedom blinks red, very red. Please understand that adult cochlear implant users turn this option off (and we will eventually also), but most pediatric users utilize it so that we, the parents, know whether or not the processor is working. But, why did Cochlear choose red? Red means stop, warning, caution... 

I guess we weren't the only ones who thought the red blinking light was a little much, because the N5 doesn't blink red, it blinks green! When I'm not bribing encouraging Lucas to wear his new processor, I'm admiring these new green-blinking processors. Not only are they smaller, thinner, lighter and sleeker, but they no longer blink red. Green is much subtler and more natural. To me it means go and be happy, not stop and stare. 

Other features that I love about the new N5s are the tamper resistant batteries and, of course, the increased water protection. As much as I wish he could have gotten his 2nd implant a while ago, the N5 has certainly been worth the wait.