Storytelling

I love reading and my taste in books is as eclectic as my taste in movies, music, clothes and men. Lucas LOVES books, too and my heart swells every time he toddles over with one in hand, ready to climb up on my lap and have me read to him.
I read the text and ask him to point out different things in the pictures and he is happy to oblige and ask "what's that?" over and over and over again. I know when a book is a hit, when his eyes light up and he asks me to read it again. We visit the bookstore and library often and I spend a lot of money on books. I always have, it's a family trait or disease, I'm not sure which.
We have books everywhere! I have at least three boxes in our garage, a nightstand of the "next ups" and an entire book case overflowing and at just 17 months old, Lucas' collection is growing rapidly, too.

He has board books, cloth books, tiny little books and big over-sized books. Right now, he is really into books with flaps and has torn many completely off. I dutifully repair them and hand them back to him until the next time.

He has a ton of books that he can play with (chew) and "read" on his own then there are the "special" books, the ones he's not allowed to play with without adult supervision, the ones way up on the top shelf of his closet.

These are the books that only come out at bedtime; Where the Wild Things Are, Goodnight Moon, Harold and the Purple Crayon,
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Corduroy, Caps For Sale and practically the entire Dr. Seuss collection. Like many of you, I grew up reading these books and they remain special to me today. I believe Lucas knows the difference between these beautifully illustrated hardcover classics and his other books. If he doesn't, I hope he soon will.

post signature

This post was written for the word game, Word Up, Yo! hosted by the self proclaimed Nerd Mafia: Natalie (Mommy of a Monster), Kristin (Taming Insanity) and Liz (a belle, a bean and a chicago dog).

If you like words too, play along!
This week's word is eclectic.