Boy Crazy

I can't remember when it happened to me exactly... the moment I realized I was boy crazy. It must have been sometime between fifth and sixth grade, but by junior high, I know I was a complete goner.

It happens to the best of us. We hit a phase in our lives where we just lose all control and find ourselves mad about the opposite sex (or same sex). Blame it on hormones, pressure to fit in, new found freedoms or boy bands, whatever the cause thank goodness it doesn't last very long.

Between the ages of 11 and 17, it
seemed I had a different crush every month. Whether it be a classmate, an upper classmate, my best friend's boyfriend, my boyfriend's best friend or the entire cast of The Outsiders. The more boyish charm, ultra cool swagger or bad behavior, the better. I also liked dark hair and dark eyes and The Outsiders had all of that and then some.

I have indirectly followed the whole cast's careers over the years.

I respect Emilio Estavez for keeping his father's surname, enjoy seeing Matt Dillon break away from the "troubled youth" roles, shed a tear when Patrick Swayze died last fall, would rather see a Tom Cruise action movie than a frou frou period piece and still swoon over Rob Lowe on Brothers & Sisters. I think my favorite of the bunch is Rob Lowe. That guy is still beautiful. Have you seen him lately? He does not age.

These days, I only have the time and wherewithal to be boy crazy for my husband and my son, but that doesn't mean I don't have a couple celebrity crushes.

Let's see: Matthew McConaughey - with his southern drawl, I could listen to him read the phone book, Clive Owen - a leading man I'd like gladly co-star with, Leonardo DiCaprio - a brilliant actor that is simply fascinating to watch, Bradley Cooper, (except for the fact that he's linked to Renee Zellweger, whom I can't stand!) Jake Gyllenhall, Josh Duhamel, and what list would be complete without Hollywood's ultimate bachelor, George Clooney? I may have just cast a remake of The Outsiders with this list. Wouldn't that be something? Although, I don't know if I could handle it. Hmmm, and I thought my boy crazy phase ended at 17.

Who's on your list?

This post is for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - Prompt #1: What actors from childhood do you think about? Have you looked up anyone lately? (inspired by Missy from The Marketing Mama)

post signature