Our House

I love our house.

It's the first house my husband and I have owned.

It's the house I was proposed to in.

It's the house I was married in.

It's the last place I saw my parents alive.

It's the house we brought our son home to.

I love our house.

I love the funky beach community that we live in.

I love our neighbors and being close to the beach and hearing the train pass through our neighborhood all day and the wonderful convenient store on the corner.

I would rather do just about anything than move. Seriously, you name it... a root canal (even though I've never had one, I understand they are horrific), 24 hour food poisoning, jury duty, a three hour wait at the DMV with a cranky 15 month old, ANYTHING!

Just the mere thought of moving makes my head spin and stomach turn. I get heart palpitations and break out into a cold sweat.

I don't like change or weeding through all the stuff I've accumulated since that last time I moved and I love our house.

However, in the last year our beloved house has gotten WAY too small for life with a toddler and seeing as I spend almost every waking moment within the same four walls of this house, I have discovered all the reasons it's perfect for a couple but not made for a family.

There is no yard to speak of, backs into a busy alleyway, has slate floors in all of the major living spaces and not a lot room to grow. On the other hand, it's beautiful in every way, perfect for entertaining and couldn't be located better.

If I HAD to move and I fear this will be a reality sooner rather than later, AND money were no object, here's what would be on my wish list:

A playroom for Lucas - a room separate from his bedroom where nothing is off limits to him and he is free to bounce off the walls as well as draw on them, if he wants. A place where he can sit quietly and do a puzzle or read as it would be lined with book shelves and have a long table and chairs his size with plenty of art supplies and tons of toys.

A guest room with an attached bathroom for all our visitors.

A master suite big enough for a sitting area and a walk-in closet with lots of shelf space and cubbies for shoes (my husband's, not mine) and handbags (mine, not my husband's).

A HUGE den off a state of the art kitchen. Kitchen must have an island.

A gym/office space.

A three car garage at the end of a long drive way.

This amazing dream house would be on sprawling grounds with lots of trees and nice lovely lush green grass. There would be one tree large and strong enough for a tree house and a tire swing. There would be a pool in the back yard with chaise lounges set up all around and a built-in BBQ and refrigerator for my wine. :)

And a trampoline.

I think that's it.

Okay, twist my arm.

I suppose, I'd love to have a library too... a small room that was just all books, photos and mementos and one big cozy over-sized chair upholstered in French toile.

I love built-ins and funny little nooks and shelves of any kind and hard wood floors.

As far as location, I love living in Southern California, so I wouldn't change that. Being in a safe neighborhood, in a terrific school district, near friends and close to parks is important too. Beachfront would be my dream.

This post is for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - Prompt #4 Describe your dream home...house, location, and grounds (inspired by plinky.com).

post signature