Flying Solo

Lucas and I have been on 10 solo journeys together that involved airports, airplanes and lots of gear. Last weekend I went to Seattle to attend my good friend, Sarah's engagement party (more on that in another post) and I went alone!

I haven't traveled without a child in SO long.

Here are some of my childless travel observations:
  • I actually dressed up for my flight and by "dressing up" I mean that I wore real shoes instead of flip flops and my "good" jeans.
  • I checked my suitcase so that I could walk on the plane carrying only a reasonably sized purse.
  • There wasn't any struggling with a stroller, squirmy child, two pairs of shoes, diaper bag or waiting for FAA to "test" bottles of formula when going through security.
  • I took the stairs whenever possible instead of elevators.
  • I didn't have to walk around the terminal trying to tire out someone by looking at airplanes, other children or anything else.
  • I bought and read an entire issue of People magazine and completed the crossword puzzle.
  • I'm sure it'll be days before I get to crack it open again, but I read 100 pages of a new book (Little Bee by Chris Cleave) while on board.
  • There were no beads of sweat collecting on my brow because I wasn't accompanied by someone prone to get overly loud or have meltdowns at 37,000 feet.
  • The last thing on my mind on the layover and hour delay on the way home was running out of diapers.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed strolling through the airport newsstand and waiting in a long line to use the bathroom in peace.
  • On the flight home I took a much needed uninterrupted nap.
  • I loved waltzing off the aircraft without having to wait for the ground crew to bring me our stroller
  • I appreciated the time away, but missed my little travel buddy and look forward to our next adventure together.

I am glad to be home.

post signature