A Labor Of Love - Tasty Tuesdays 1

I have said it before, if it weren't for my husband, I'd starve.

I collect recipes, but I don't cook. I don't even know how to properly cut an onion. I have NEVER been comfortable in the kitchen and truly admire anyone who is. Anyone that can whip up something amazing from odds and ends on hand is my hero.

Half a dozen times a year, I make dinner and last night was one of those rare occasions.
If you told me on Sunday that I would be participating in Alicia's (A Beautiful Mess) Tasty Tuesdays, I would have told you you were nuts, but never say never, right? Sometimes we even surprise ourselves.
Why I choose yesterday to tackle lasagna, one of the hottest days of summer we have had so far and a day in which I woke up feeling really crappy, is beyond me, but Lucas cooperated at the grocery store and graciously took a two hours nap so that I could busy myself in the kitchen.
My mother made a terrific lasagna that I could never replicate, even with the recipe staring me in the face, so I've been on the hunt for one equally good, but mine... not to mention a little healthier. I have made this dish twice before, but knew I was really on to something when my mother-in-law asked me for the recipe. She is a phenomenal cook so I took that as a huge compliment. I think this was my best effort.

Lucas even enjoyed several bites.
By the way, the leftovers are great, the clean up, not so much.
Turkey Lasagna with Spinach
From MarthaStewart.com

Ingredients
- Serves 6
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound fresh ground turkey
  • 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, crushed
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 (9-ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles (ONE OF THE BEST INVENTIONS EVER!!)
  • 15 ounces low-fat ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed, but not dried
  • 1 pound low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add ground turkey and cook for about 10 minutes. Add plum tomatoes, tomato paste, and season with salt and pepper; let simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and egg; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
  4. Place damp spinach in a large skillet over medium heat; cook until wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Ladle 1/4 of the turkey mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; spread to cover. Add a pasta sheet, 1/3 of the mozzarella, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the spinach mixture, and another 1/4 of the turkey mixture. Repeat process two more times; top with remaining sheet of pasta. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over top. Line a piece of aluminum foil with parchment paper; spray parchment with nonstick cooking spray. Cover lasagna with prepared aluminum foil, parchment-side down, and transfer to oven. Bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
  6. Let stand about 5 minutes before cutting; serve.
The best is yet to be.