Oh, What A Night!

Last night I checked on Lucas, as I do every night before turning in myself around 9:30 and as soon as I walked into his bedroom, I smelled something awful. I had forgotten to empty the diaper pail and his laundry basket was overflowing. He was fast asleep (and breathing), so I thought if it wasn't his behind, I'd just crack open a window and call it a night.

I found his lovey at the far end of the crib and as I grabbed it and was tucking it under his arm, I discovered it was soaking wet. I then turned on the overhead light and found one whole end of the crib was soaking wet as well and there were little white chunks all over him and his bed. Poor baby had thrown up and was now sleeping in it.

Eeewwwww! I'd much rather clean up poop; at least it's usually confined to one area.

He hadn't made a peep for 3 1/2 hours. He could have choked! Thank goodness I went in there. But what was I suppose to do now? I couldn't let him sleep in soiled sheets and jammies. I had to wake him up and change everything out.

Surprisingly, he was in a very good mood considering he was just woken from a sound sleep but quickly became completely confused and very agitated. He started following me all over the house sobbing as I struggled to remove the bumper pad, dust ruffle, mattress pad, sheets and blankets from his bed, find new sheets, start laundry, pull out a fresh pair of pjs, wipe him off, change him, etc.

At one point, he made his way into our room where he quickly found the huge glass of water on my bedside table and proceeded to dump it all over himself. And so ensues another round of clean up and new jammies.

Oh, I haven't even mention the best part yet...this happens on a night my husband is out to dinner with a colleague.

In LA.

Two hours away.

Lucky me.

He got home just in time to help me try to get Lucas back to sleep, which didn't happen until after midnight.

Needless to say, I'm more than a little grouchy this morning because even though he was up for 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night, Lucas still woke up at the butt crack of dawn this morning. What is up with that?!


We both need a break from one another.
Thank goodness I have a babysitter coming in T-minus two hours.

The best is yet to be.