Patience

My husband is a very patient person.

I, on the other hand, hate waiting in lines.

I hate red lights.

I am not good at dealing with my son's temper tantrums.

I have several of my own temper tantrums each week.

I want things done N.O.W. and I have ZERO tolerance for people that dawdle or indecisiveness. I don't like to "wait and see" or "talk about it again later". I want to make a decision and move on.

They say patience is a virtue. Well, I don't get it. Clearly, I don't have very much of it and while I'd like to think I'm working on it, I don't really know that I am.

What makes one person more patient than another?

How do you develop patience?

What is so virtuous about patience anyway?

Does being patient really make you a better person?

Ah, patience, you slay me!

Webster's dictionary defines [being] patient as:
1. enduring pain, trouble, etc. without complaint
2. calmly tolerating insult, delay, confusion, etc.
3. showing calm endurance
4. diligent; persevering

Well, no wonder people (I) have such a difficult time with it. If being patient is equated with enduring pain without complaint and calmly tolerating insult, then you can keep it. It does me no good.

It sure makes patience sound like taking on a martyr "suffering in silence" role, doesn't it? No, thank you!

But, if I think about patience in terms of showing calm endurance, being diligent and persevering, then MAYBE I can SORT OF see a different aspect of patience and one that for a mommy like me, should aspire to be.

Yesterday was one of those days that particularly tried my patience.

Thank goodness my husband is a very patient person.

The best is yet to be.