Patenting Without Parents

I am parenting without parents. Are any of you?

People ask me about Lucas' grandparents all the time. They know my husband's parents live a two hour plane ride away and that we see them every month, but they don't always know where my parents are. When I tell them, it always brings the conversation to a screeching halt. I hate it when that happens.

It's always on my mind... my parents aren't here.

My parents will never meet my son.

For those of you that don't know, they both died almost three years ago of carbon monoxide poisoning. You can read details here.

A lot can happen in 32 months and every now and then, a little more than usual, (cue Lucas' recent birthday, Father's Day tomorrow and my birthday next week) I can't stop thinking about, not only what they are missing, but what I am missing too. Can there be a statue of limitations on needing a mother even if you are a mother? I don't think so.

It's stupid really, I'm almost 38 and I have no one to call with my silly parenting questions. There’s no one to ask. Sure, I have a wonderful (much younger) sister, a loving aunt and uncle, a very smart mother-in-law, a supportive sister-in-law, who is also a mother of two and tons of amazing friends in the blog world and real life, but sometimes it feels like I’m flying solo on something I shouldn't be.

To me, having a baby brings you closer to your own parents. You finally realize all the pain, suffering and worry they went through with you. Once you have a child of your own, you know just how much your mom and dad love you.

They should be here.

I should be having conversations about Lucas' milestones, poop, food, toys and TV watching habits with my mom. I should be getting choked up over seeing my dad play with his grandson and rolling my eyes at them both when they try to put, yet another visit on the calendar. I should be asking them, "when did I do this, that or the other when I was his age?".
All it's only been one year!! How am I going to do this for the rest of my life?

They would have been terrific grandparents.


Aside from two incredible people who built their lives around educating children, so much else was lost when my parents died; family traditions, history and a whole set of memories that I don't share with anyone else but them. Whenever something crosses my mind that I think Lucas might be interested in or should know, I jot it down and more than once, I have poured my heart here. It helps, but I still miss them every day.

The best is yet to be.