Father's Day

Lucas has one of the very best fathers I know. Lucas is very lucky, although I think his daddy would say it's the other way around.

In celebration of Father's Day, here are some quotes that I think epitomizes the role of father and the relationship between a father and his children:

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." - Anne Sexton

"It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping." - John Sinor

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain

"Fatherhood is pretending the present you love the most is soap-on-a-rope." - Bill Cosby

"The kind of man who thinks that helping with the dishes is beneath him will also think that helping with the baby is beneath him, and then he certainly is not going to be a very successful father." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"One night a father overheard his son pray: Dear God, Make me the kind of man my Daddy is. Later that night, the Father prayed, Dear God, Make me the kind of man my son wants me to be." - Anonymous


"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." - Clarence Budington Kelland

"Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes." - Gloria Naylor

"Spread the diaper in the position of the diamond with you at bat. Then fold second base down to home and set the baby on the pitcher's mound. Put first base and third together, bring up home plate and pin the three together. Of course, in case of rain, you gotta call the game and start all over again." - Jimmy Piersal, on how to diaper a baby, 1968

"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." - Unknown

My personal favorite:

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." - Henry Ward Beecher

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

The best is yet to be.