The Most Important Meal Of The Day

After my post, Worst Mother Of The Year, I realize now that I should be keeping an on going list of things that I swore I wouldn't as a new mom. Something tells me it is going to get worse before it gets better...

Today's act actually shocked me.

Okay, "shocked" is a bit of an exaggeration.

You wanted nothing to do with your high chair or bananas and cereal so, I followed you around the living room with your breakfast in order to get you to eat it. It worked... for you and made me mad at myself. While I do believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I'm happy that I found a way to get you to eat it, I don't want to start a bad habit.

This got me thinking about some of the other things I have done as a mother (so far) that I'm not proud of:
  • Letting you play with my iPhone.
  • Talking entirely too much about poop... color, texture, size. Blech!
  • Leaving you sleeping in the car (gulp!) while I ran into pick up my dry cleaning, a sandwich and pay for gas. Not all at the same time.
  • Putting you in a shopping cart without a seat protector.
  • Wiping your nose and then wiping my hand clean on the jeans that I've been wearing for three days in a row.
  • See above about the jeans. I have worked my butt off to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans and am proud to say that I now weigh what I did at my first OB appointment, but I live in yoga pants, tank tops and hoodies. I hardly ever wear make up and most of the time, I smell like you. I never thought I'd let myself go.
Before becoming a mother, I had many ideas and ideals about motherhood being the perfect mother. I thought that some moms were just lazy, ill-informed or both and that I was clever enough to break the cycle. I was going to break new ground. It didn't take long to learn that all those impressions I had were going to go right out the window.

I know that once I let go of these ideals and stop trying to be perfect, I will relax enough to enjoy my son and be the mother I was meant to be.

For all you moms out there, what did you always vow that you’d never do as a parent, but find yourself doing today?

By the way, stay tuned, the list above is sure to grow. :)

The best is yet to be.

Day 56/100