Adjustment Period

As I shared in my post, Happy Anticipation, I had a perfect pregnancy with none of the usual symptoms; no morning sickness, food cravings or aversions, heartburn, constipation, bloating, swollen feet or pregnancy brain... until now!

I think our bodies and minds are still in a state of shock the nine months or so after delivery because my post pregnancy brain is in full swing. I forget EVERYTHING! I have always been a list maker, but since I became a mother, I sometimes make two, having completely forgotten about the first one. I miss friends birthdays, walk into stores and can't remember why I'm there, misplace things and feel like I'm in either in slow motion or on fast forward most of the time.

According to an article I read in the latest issue of FitPregnancy, many experts attribute the sluggishness to to the hormonal upheaval that inevitably occurs after childbirth. Shannon Seip, co-author of Momnesia thinks sleep deprivation is just as much a factor.

I am completely exhausted at the end of the day and definitely earn the eight plus hours of horizontal time I get, so that can't be it in my case.

The article goes on to say that the huge learning curve of taking care of a newborn also contributes. "You're gathering so much new information, so worried about simply keeping your baby alive and well-fed that it consumes your brain," Seip explains.

Now, this I can identify with, but for me it's more than just keeping you alive, it's keeping you entertained and engaged as well. I especially find myself obsessed with your toys and wondering (worrying) if you've outgrown some of them.

While research shows the fogginess can last up to a year after having a baby, many woman start to see at least some improvement once they adjust to their new lives. Adjust to their new lives, huh? Hmmm... I wonder what the research says about how long it takes to adjust to motherhood? One year? Six? 18?

The best is yet to be.

Day 39/100