I Am A Sucker For Awards Season

I love watching the Golden Globes, Emmys, Grammys and the coup de grace...the Oscars! I just love the red carpet. I’m the girl captivated in front of the TV watching the arrivals to see what everyone is wearing; the designer dresses, who's with whom, the extravagant jewels, the hair, the makeup, all of it!

Thanks to my dear friend, Lindsey, I have been lucky enough to attend both an Emmy award ceremony (2007) and a Grammy night (2005). What a complete thrill!! Two nights I will never forget. There really is nothing like being there live.

Last night, I had to settle for watching the 56th Annual Grammy Awards from the comfort of my bed (which isn't a bad place to be at all these days) and it was best Grammy show I had seen in a long while. There were, of course the multiple wardrobe changes and all the glitz and glamor of previous years, but the performances were breathtaking.

I was floored right out of the gate by Lady GaGa and Elton John's opening medley of Poker Face, Speechless and Your Song and then Beyoncé kicked it in to high fierceness with If I Were a Boy and her rendition of Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know, and the Michael Jackson tribute was very touching, but it was Pink that had me with my jaw on the floor.

USA Today described her performance best: "The famously feisty singer/songwriter showed her dreamier, more buoyant side. A vision in white (until she disrobed, revealing a flesh-colored body suit), Pink sang sweetly and surely, even while suspended by wires, twirling in midair and soaked in water."

If you weren't a fan of Pink before this, I bet you are now. It was a beautiful performance and the lyrics to the song she sang, Glitter In The Air are too good not to share:

Have you ever fed a lover with just your hands?
Close your eyes and trust it, just trust it
Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don't care
It's only half past the point of no return
The tip of the iceberg
The sun before the burn
The thunder before lightning
The breath before the phrase
Have you ever felt this way?

Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone?
Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you're not alone
Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry?
Have you ever invited a stranger to come inside?

It's only half past the point of oblivion
The hourglass on the table
The walk before the run
The breath before the kiss
And the fear before the flames
Have you ever felt this way?

There you are, sitting in the garden
Clutching my coffee,
Calling me 'sugar'
You called me 'sugar'

Have you ever wished for an endless night?
Laugh so the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight
Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself
Will it ever get better than tonight?
Tonight

Of course, another huge highlight of the night for me was seeing my all time favorite, the Dave Matthews Band perform. Dare I say that Dave even looked rather dapper. Unfortunately, they lost out to Taylor Swift for Album of the Year, but I still heart DMB, their music always makes me smile.

The best is yet to be and I'd be lost without music.