stirring up some bad memories

Lucas at about this time last year


Today's local audiologist appointment went well. The reason why I'm referring to it as the local audi, is because it's not the same audi that we see for Lucas's regular audiological and CI needs. We travel 80 miles to CHOP to see him. We haven't been back to this local audiologist since we got Lucas's initial diagnosis on that fateful February day.

I felt pretty sick as soon as we entered the parking lot. Luckily, they've hired a new audi to work specifically with kids, so that was something different. But, she took us to the same room where Lucas had his first 2 ABRs. It really made me sick to my stomach to sit in that room.

I took advantage of the situation, and told her about our new support group and listserv, and asked whether she'd be willing to share the information with her pediatric families. She seemed excited about it. I also told her about the brochure we're working on, and she's also willing to provide that to new families.

I thought about it for awhile, then I did it. I told her about the most frustrating part of the whole initial diagnosis process - the fact that we didn't really understand that severe-profound hearing loss meant that he was deaf. I told her that even if it is hard, from her perspective, to share that with parents of newly diagnosed kids, I find it to be important and valuable. Of course, I think it's important for her to choose her words wisely, and be as sensitive as possible, but I feel that after using the term, severe-profound hearing loss, that it's appropriate and necessary to explain that it's the same thing as what's commonly known as being deaf. She told me that they tend not to use the word "deaf" at all, and thanked me for the feedback. It felt good to get it off my chest. And maybe she'll at least think about it next time before she hands over that heavy diagnosis.

On a lighter note, Lucas got fitted for 2 earmolds, and that was it. Easy appointment. We're going to try a skeleton earmold with his CI, to help keep it on his ear. If we don't like it, oh well. We also ordered the Phonak Naida in gray, to match his silver CI. Soon after the appointment, I got a call from Lucas's insurance company, stating that he'd been approved for the hearing aid. That was quick. Now we just wait until the earmolds return, which should be in about 2 weeks. Then, we'll see what kind of reactions we get!